Your Failure Is Not Your Identity
I still fail.
There. I said it.
I am a coach.
I talk about Inner Dialogue.
I encourage people to become more aware of their thoughts and choices.
And yet I still get frustrated.
I still make mistakes.
I still get stuck.
I still have things I don't know how to solve.
The difference is that I am learning not to turn every failure into a statement about who I am.
Recently, I had trouble with one of my TikTok recordings.
For days, I couldn't figure out what was wrong.
I became frustrated because I wanted to solve it.
Eventually, a thought came:
"Why don't you check whether the recording has somehow been routed through the earphones?"
I checked.
And there it was.
The problem wasn't that I was incapable.
I simply hadn't looked in the right place.
I gave myself a thumbs-up.
After nearly two months of being stuck with the issue, I finally found the answer.
And it reminded me of something important:
A problem is not always a personal failure. Sometimes it is simply information we haven't discovered yet.
When something goes wrong, our thoughts can become very dramatic.
"I'm useless."
"Why can't I do this?"
"Everyone else knows except me."
"I should have known better."
And suddenly, one problem becomes ten problems.
This is where Inner Dialogue helps me.
Instead of asking:
"What's wrong with me?"
I can ask:
"What actually happened?"
"What haven't I considered?"
"What can I learn from this?"
"What's the next thing I can check?"
That shift is powerful.
Failure becomes information.
A mistake becomes a milestone.
A delay becomes an opportunity to discover another way.
I am not saying we should celebrate every failure.
Some mistakes hurt.
Some consequences are serious.
Some things take a long time to repair.
But we don't have to add unnecessary suffering by turning a mistake into an identity.
I can say:
"I failed at this."
without saying:
"I am a failure."
There is a difference.
I am still learning.
You are still learning.
And perhaps the real measure of progress isn't how often we fail.
Perhaps it is how quickly we can return to ourselves, learn from what happened, and take the next step.
I don't need to be perfect to be proud of myself.
Sometimes, I just need to solve one small problem and give myself a thumbs-up.
Footnote: 100826 TikTok live transcript)

No comments:
Post a Comment