Are You Living Your Life — Or Someone Else's?
Many of us don't realise how much of our life is shaped by expectations.
You are a daughter.
You are a son.
You become a mother.
A father.
A grandmother.
A grandfather.
A teacher.
A CEO.
A manager.
A staff member.
A partner.
A caregiver.
And every role comes with expectations.
You should be responsible.
You should be successful.
You should be strong.
You should take care of everyone.
You should make your family proud.
You should know what you're doing.
You should be the best.
But somewhere along the way, a strange thing can happen.
You become very good at being what everybody else needs...
and you forget how to simply be yourself.
Sometimes you go home and you are still carrying the role.
Nobody asked you to perform anymore, but you continue performing.
Nobody told you what to do, but you continue doing what you think you are supposed to do.
And then one day you ask:
"What do I actually want?"
That question can be surprisingly difficult.
This is one of the reasons I brought Inner Dialogue into my work with Awakening Your Worth.
I don't see Inner Dialogue as another topic that you learn and then forget.
I see it as an action.
A practice.
A way of communicating with yourself consistently.
Because even when you finish a coaching session, the coach eventually leaves the room.
Then what?
You go home with yourself.
You wake up with yourself.
You make decisions with yourself.
You face your thoughts with yourself.
You need to learn how to continue the conversation.
That is where Inner Dialogue becomes powerful.
Not because it gives you somebody else's answer.
But because it helps you discover your own.
I don't believe there should be one standard operating procedure for every human being.
People are not filing cabinets.
You cannot put Thought A into Box A, Thought B into Box B, and expect life to remain organised.
Your experiences are unique.
Your emotions are unique.
Your history is unique.
Your choices are yours.
So I can offer a process.
I can ask questions.
I can help you see something you may not have noticed.
But ultimately, you are the one who has to choose.
And perhaps that is part of awakening your worth:
Learning to distinguish between the voice that belongs to you and the voices you have carried from everyone else.
Ask yourself:
Is this what I really want?
Or is this what I was taught to want?
Is this my responsibility?
Or am I carrying someone else's expectation?
Is this my voice?
Or have I become very good at being somebody else's version of me?
You don't have to abandon your responsibilities.
You don't have to stop caring for others.
You don't have to become selfish.
But you do need to remember that there is a person underneath all those roles.
And that person is you.
Footnote: 100826 TikTok live transcript)

No comments:
Post a Comment