Search This Blog

Thursday, 13 August 2026

Thought Constipation: When Your Mind Is Full but You Still Feel Empty

Thought Constipation: When Your Mind Is Full but You Still Feel Empty

Have you ever had so many thoughts running through your head that, by the end of the day, you feel exhausted but still haven't actually processed anything?

I call this thought constipation.

It is not a medical term. It is my own way of describing what happens when thoughts keep coming, but we don't know how to process, prioritise, or release them.

Thoughts come and go like traffic.

If you have ever experienced the traffic jam in Kuala Lumpur, you know exactly what I mean. Cars keep coming. Everyone wants to move. Everyone is impatient. Someone honks. Someone changes lanes. Someone gets frustrated.

Our thoughts can be exactly the same.

One thought comes:

"I need to do this."

Then another:

"Wait, I should also do that."

Then:

"Maybe I should connect this to something else."

Before you know it, your original thought has travelled so far that you don't even remember where you started.

You become mentally full, but somehow still empty.

You have consumed so much information, but you don't have clarity.

You have thought about the past.

You have imagined the future.

You have analysed other people's behaviour.

You have replayed conversations.

You have worried about what might happen.

And somewhere along the way, you forgot the present.

That, to me, is thought constipation.

The solution is not to stop thinking.

You cannot.

The moment someone tells you, "Don't think about a white elephant," what happens?

Of course, you see the white elephant.

The thought has already arrived.

So instead of fighting every thought, I practise something else:

Mindfulness.

I step out of the traffic.

I observe the traffic.

I ask myself:

"What is actually happening here?"

"Which thought deserves my attention right now?"

I don't need to process every thought that enters my mind.

That would create even more traffic.

I choose one thought.

I give it my attention.

Then I move into Inner Dialogue.

I ask:

"What am I thinking?"

"What am I feeling?"

"Why is this feeling still here?"

"What caused this thought?"

"What do I want to do with it?"

This is where the traffic begins to move.

Thoughts are not the enemy.

The problem is allowing every thought to become your driver.

I still experience thought constipation.

I am not claiming that I have somehow become an enlightened human being who never overthinks.

I am still human.

The difference is that I am learning to process my thoughts faster.

Sometimes I journal.

Sometimes I talk.

Sometimes I create something from the thought.

Sometimes I simply pause.

And sometimes I decide:

"I have given this enough attention. I am letting it go."

You don't have to digest everything today.

Some thoughts are for now.

Some can wait.

Some don't need your attention at all.

The question is not:

"How do I stop thinking?"

The better question is:

"Which thought deserves my attention?"

That is where mindfulness begins.

And that is where Inner Dialogue begins. 



Footnote: 100826 TikTok live transcript)

#peggyang57 #awakeningyourworth #innerdialogue #coachingculture #bazireader #oraclecards #transformation #change #mindser #carljung #stoicism #emotion #energyvampire #tiktokliveworld
​ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change or Transformation? The Difference That Changed My Perspective

  Change or Transformation? The Difference That Changed My Perspective There was a time when I believed  change  and  transformation  meant ...